Early detection is one of the best tools you can use to stay healthy. Don’t neglect your health screenings. If something needs medical attention, the sooner it is detected, the better.
Health screenings for both men and women age 50 and older:
- Blood pressure and cholesterol levels should be tested regularly.
- Diabetes tests should be administered for those who have high blood pressure.
- Colorectal cancer screenings are important, especially if cancer runs in the family.
- Vision tests help detect diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Hearing screenings can be important to determine whether seniors need aids.
- Depression evaluations are also important as seniors experience important life changes that come with age, such as the loss of a spouse.
- Routine physicals: As directed by your provider. This should include skin and other cancer-related checkups, plus weight and body mass index (BMI) assessment
For more information on Touro’s Senior Care services and wellness tips on healthy aging, visit touro.com/seniorcare.
What to Read Next
Colorectal cancer usually starts in the cells that form the colon and rectum. It’s one of the leading causes of cancer deaths in the U.S. But when this cancer is found and treated early, when…